Life Is A Series of Moments to be Savoured

James Preston Reply 7:09 AM
372 days ago today my life changed forever.  1 year 1 week the craziest thing happened to us.  And not just my wife and I, everyone who is intimately connected to us.  Their lives took a significant change as well.

That's the change a new human life can bring to this world.  It turns everything upside down in so many far-reaching places.  It is not something to be taken lightly!  (Be warned, teenagers)

Joel Preston was born at 8:20am on Wednesday 4 April 2012 and it remains the most emotional moment I have ever lived.  And I've been blessed to have a few.  I don't think I realised such spontaneous and involuntary joy was even possible for humans!

Such moments must be savoured.  Such grand experiences must be remembered.  That's why cameras have become so popular, invading every electronic device man can make.  But are photos enough?

Familiarity breeds contempt.  And it seems the more photos we have, the less we seem to savour them as we eagerly "side swipe" to see the next one.  (It is for this reason I am realising more and more the value of physically printing out my photos).  With such floods of repeating images, do we really stop to consider the moment that was captured?

It is with this in mind that I like to add to my collection of imagery a few physical reminders of great moments.  Sentimental ornaments that help me stop and think about what actually transpired.  Those times of stopping invigorate me with inspiration and help me remember what life is all about.

For the 4th of April 2012, the day Joel James Preston entered this world, I had the perfect reminder that demanded my attention every day, even when I was away from my precious boy.  My hospital tag.

The amount of times I have been asked about it are countless, but the amount of times it has helped me stop for a moment and remind myself of what I experienced that day are equally numerous.

I figured many creatives today wear all kinds of strange bangles, from animal skin to copper rings to rubber bands.  If someone can wear a rubber band "telling the world" that they're in support of anti-rhino poaching, I think it's only fair I can wear a band that reminds me of the greatest day of my life!

Some people think it's crazy and silly.  But most of those people live conventionally in the box of conformity, so I refuse to bow to their expectations.  I think it's the perfect way for me to maximise my mind's ability to recall great history.

The band snapped yesterday.  Exactly 1 year and 1 week from the day it was placed on my wrist by the maternity ward's Matron.  And I thought it would be a good opportunity to remind you to make the most of every opportunity.  Savour the great moments life presents us.  Squeeze every last drop out of them.

Life is a gift to be savoured.  Don't take its grand moments for granted.


May you savour life's grand moments every day!

What are the some unconventional ways you savour life's great moments?

Follow James on Twitter for daily updates and encouragements:

Post a Comment

Spiritual Blog of 2013!

Spiritual Blog of 2013!

Welcome to JamesPreston.org

Weekly Email Inspiration:

Enter Your Email for powerful inspiration:

FOLLOW JAMES:

James Interviews Mike Stopforth about Entrepreneurship:

James' Top Ten Movies:

James' Popular Blog Posts:

Search

James on Google Plus: