Follow Your Dreams, Child of God

James Preston 2 7:05 PM
Let's move on a little from the debating banter of late and get into something a little more encouraging, shall we?


Ephesians 2:10
For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

I was recently looking back at the last 3 years or so of my life and found myself amazed and thankful at how much I have accomplished in that short space of time.  I really don't mean to sound arrogant in any way, but rather am so thankful for what God has done through me as I have thrown myself completely into His Arms.  And so after looking back in thankfulness, it might be nice to encourage some of you who feel like you are stuck in rut wanting more out of life.

When I look back at what has happened in the past 3 years, I am amazed and thankful.  And honestly can say that if you had told me 5 years ago what I was going to accomplish in 5 years I would have doubted its possibility.  And that's the best thing about it, it's meant to look impossible before you do it.  That's the way God likes it.  He likes impossible situations.  Because it is in such situations that He gets to show Himself as The Strong Father that He is!

I don't think it's necessary for me to get into detail about what I have accomplished, but rather I want this post to serve as an encouragement to you to step out into the dreams you have in your heart.  The specifics of my dreams are not the subject here, how I achieved them is.

Needless to say, there are numerous "achievements" that I am really thankful for.  (I prefer to say "thankful for" than "proud of" as I am more thankful to God for supporting me and giving me the Grace and ability to carry out my dreams than I am "proud").

Each and every one of these "achievements" were "achieved" by simply stepping out of the "boat of deliberation" and simply "doing it".  I have found on every single occasion where a dream has been fulfilled, it was simply because I stepped out of waiting around and hoping for something to happen and instead actually did something.  It was that "doing something" that activated the Favour of God.

The Favour of God was always there.  I have always been favoured by my Loving Father, as has every human being on the planet.  No matter who they are.  Because of what Jesus accomplished on The Cross, every human being on the planet is looked upon by God with Love and Favour.  What counts is whether we access that favour.

And I have found accessing His Favour is far easier than we could ever imagine!  It is not a case of praying for it, or doing certain things to ensure it is over our work, but it is simply stepping out into our calling knowing that the Favour is already there.

Does that mean I didn't pray before stepping out in these things?  Of course not!  I prayed.  But very differently to how I would've prayed in the past.  Instead, I went to God, who is my Father, and I asked Him to show me the possibility of the dreams I felt in my heart.  Are they from Him?  Are you they feasible dreams and not just fly-by-night "good ideas".  When I felt they were real dreams worth pursuing, I would keep talking to Him.  Maybe a day or two, or even weeks, later.  Asking Him to show me what steps to take.  Asking Him to open doors of opportunity for me.

I didn't beg God.  I knew that He would.  He is a Good Dad.  And like I said, He has already favoured me.  He gave the desires to me in the first place.  He created me with these talents and gifts.  And so when I step into that which uses those talents & gifts, I am stepping into what He designed me for.  I am fulfilling my purpose.

And then?  And then I step out the boat and do it.  I just go along and make it happen.  Which can be harder for some than others.  But at the end of the day, we all face the "but what if?"  No matter how big our dream.  Rather try and fail than fail because you didn't even try!  Let me just say, a number of my dreams that I have stepped out into haven't worked out the way I wanted them to.  Some didn't work at all.

But they all make up a journey that is so exciting and adventurous that I wouldn't want to live any other way!  And they teach me what works and what doesn't.  And that's how God our Father is, He likes us to learn as we go along.  Like when we teach our kids how to ride a bicycle.  They need to get the feel of it all before they actually "know" how to ride.

So all I am saying in this post is "go for it"!  Don't think that just because your dreams are so crazy and "out there" that they are not from God!  The more crazy they are the more likely they are to be from God!  God has created us to make an impact on this Earth.  And He's done that by placing dreams and desires in our heart.  So don't listen to religious lies...  instead, follow your dreams, child of God!

2 comments

Hey James,

Great post :) I am following my drams now. Taking that step of faith. Not going by sight but believing. And I didn't have a dream or vision or hear clearly from God that God wanted me to go on this path. But I know Daddy cares for what His children want. And I know these dreams are not against God and what He says in the Word.

As what Bill Johnson says in his Dreaming with God book/series.

Cheers bro!

Hey Jonathan!

So great to hear from you bro. I am glad the post encouraged you. Yep, Bill's book Dreaming With God (now Secrets To Imitating God) is a must-read for anyone feeling this.

Good to hear from you and stay in touch!

Blessings over you guys in Singapore!

James

Post a Comment

Spiritual Blog of 2013!

Spiritual Blog of 2013!

Welcome to JamesPreston.org

Weekly Email Inspiration:

Enter Your Email for powerful inspiration:

FOLLOW JAMES:

James Interviews Mike Stopforth about Entrepreneurship:

James' Top Ten Movies:

James' Popular Blog Posts:

Search

James on Google Plus: